Creating Your Own Library at Home
Setting up your own home library can be fairly simple with a little organization and creativity. Gather your books together and I would suggest making a donation pile as you set up your room. If you find some books you'
Setting up your own home library can be fairly simple with a little organization and creativity. Gather your books together and I would suggest making a donation pile as you set up your room. If you find some books you're excited about, donate them to your local library!
To build up a library is to create a life. It’s never just a random collection of books.
– Carlos María Domínguez
Suggestions for Creating Your Library
1) Decide what room will be your library. This does not have to be an entire room dedicated to your library but a space where you can begin. If you can devote a whole room, that's great! Be mindful of how many books you have and that will determine how large a space you need.
2) Pick out your shelving. Do you want bookshelves? Built-ins? Free floating shelves? Choose what aesthetic speaks to you. Personally, I love built-ins and bookcases.
3) Organize your books. Now it's time to place your books on the shelves. What order will you do? You could do your favorites on the easily accessible shelf or color coordinate your books or do them alphabetically. I tend to arrange mind by genre and what the book overall is about. I do love the color coordinated books as I think it looks so cool but I don't know about splitting up a series...hmmm... Also, I think it's perfectly acceptable to stack books both horizontally and vertically on a shelf.
4) Choose your seating. What type of seating will you have in your library? The size of your space will determine what seating arrangement you will have. You may only have room for one chair or maybe you can fit in a couch and chair. This is an important piece to your library.
5) Make it cozy. You will want your library to be inviting, comfortable, and oh so cozy. Curl up in your cushy chair with your favorite book and get whisked away into another time. Make sure the lighting is adequate for your room. I also encourage adding personal touches throughout. Mix in photos and mementos among your books to really give it custom to you feel.
Hope you found this helpful and have fun setting up your own library at home! Feel free to drop photos of yours in the comments.